Friday 20 April 2012

Hard Sci fi

The Moon Moth is an adaptation of a short story by Jack Vance, illustrated by Homayoun Ibrahim. It’s a complicated story about an ambassador who goes to a completely alien planet and has to find a criminal. It does take a lot of concentration to follow the story; admittedly I had never read the original. I wonder if I had whether it would be an easier read. It is nice to see that not only traditional classics are being adapted into graphic novel format, and I applaud this brave publishing endeavour.

The artwork is decent and tells the story as best as it can. The way the aliens communicate is hard to depict and the artist has some ingenious ways of showing this.

I’m not sure I’d recommend this for a reading group because of the complicated storyline, unless it was read alongside the original short story. I think ‘hard sci fi’ fans will love it, just not my cup of tea.

No comments: